Follow me on Pinterest!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Window screens up cycled to a jewelry stand

I was at my friends house this weekend and noticed three redwood framed window screens out back. She had brought them home from her cabin thinking about repurposing them but wasn't sure into what. As soon as I saw the hinges and the metal screen, I knew - jewelry holder.
Let me give you some backstory. My friend has an insane amount of jewelry. Costume, real, all kinds. It's in bowls, trays, boxes, hanging organizers, buns, all over the place. A lifelong collection desperate for organization.
Once the idea was born into my head, I had to establish my rules. 1. Spend no money, and 2. maximize the usage of space.
I dug in her junk drawer and found eye hooks and cup hooks. My husband always has boxes of nails and screws lying around from construction jobs. I still had a 5lb spool of utility wire from when I made place card holders got my wedding. Perfect, everything I should need!
So I set to work. I had to swap the hinges around to get the two front sides to match up. This piece can easily be put on her dresser and it will stand alone. I knew the third screen would be for a wall mount to maximize the amount of hanging necklaces. I used the same screws and holes for the hinge swap. After counting my supplies, I drew out a rough sketch of where I was going to mount all of the hooks and wire. I fired up my drill and set to work. I drilled starter holes for all of my nails and hooks, taking care not to split the wood. The redwood smelled just like the forest when I drilled into it.
The nails along the top of the double are meant for bracelets, while the weed can support posts on cards an clip ons. French hooks can easily slip in the holes while chunky necklaces find themselves on the side nails. The small picture hanger hooks are great for the smaller more delicate necklaces.
I was very happy with how this turned out and also with the fact that it was totally free! Making so much cents!
I wish I could tell you that this could house her entire collection, but she's got way too much. It is going to make one gorgeous display though. Once she gets it all up I'll post pictures.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment