Follow me on Pinterest!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vintage Halloween Postcards

It all started a few years ago when I was thumbing through a box of postcards at a hole in the wall antique store. I came across a card with two costumed children with a pumpkin on a stick. It read "Halloween greetings". I instantly fell in love. I was cheap enough that I could realistically afford it and what a conversation piece, it had writing on the back! I bought it and have been on the hunt for more ever since. They continue to elude me. That is except for a beautiful example in a display case at an antique store in the Amana Colonies in Iowa. The colors were vibrant, the edges were straight, the content was adorable...the cost was $40. Okay, I don't love them that much. They are for sale all over the Internet, but that's not the prize I'm looking for. I want the $4 goodie in that old shoe box in the back corner of the store. I will continue my search. I'm confident my collection will grow. Hey, two counts as a collection, doesn't it? Leave it to me to stumble upon the most collectible Halloween item and want more.
This year I decided to throw a small Halloween party for Nicholas' young friends. My theme is vintage Halloween. Traditional games and treats like bobbing for apples and caramel apples. To decorate I found, wouldn't you know it, free printable vintage postcards online. I inserted them in a word doc and resized them. My original idea was to use smaller ones as gift tags on the apples and 8.5x11 ones as decorations on the walls. After modge podging my heart out on the small ones, I decided that these mini cuties would be the perfect addition to a Halloween tree. (That's something else I have my eye out for) I had all of the glitter, ribbon, glue and card stock on hand. Total cost of this craft: $1.26, the cost of the two color copies at Kinkos. So here they are, my vintage Halloween postcard ornaments.
Pin It

1 comment: